The Waynesboro Ice Plant opened in 1905 when many cities began to make their own ice instead of importing it from up North by rail. It remained in operation until the early 1970's. By 2000, the Waynesboro Ice Plant had fallen into disrepair and was crumbling away. The city planned to demolish it but when the bids to do so were all too high it was not torn down. Instead, in 2005, the one hundred year old building became the recipient of a Department of Transportation Enhancement Act Grant.
Today, after undergoing a $1.1 million renovation, the 7,000 square foot building not only houses the Offices of Planning and Development for the City of Waynesboro but serves as a museum, meeting space, and trailhead for Waynesboro's Greenway Trail. Visitors to the Ice Plant will find some of the original equipment on display, including the diesel generator that provided power for ice making and generated electricity for streetlights. Included in the displays are vintage photos tracing the plants' history and significance.