Flipping a light switch. Plugging in a coffeemaker. Charging a laptop computer. These are second nature for most of us. Electricity makes our lives easier. However, we need to be cautious and keep safety in mind.
-Have all electrical work done by a qualified electrician.
-When you are buying or remodeling a home, have it inspected by a qualified private inspector or in accordance with local requirements.
-Only use one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, toaster, space heater, etc.) plugged into a receptacle outlet at at time.
-Major appliances (refrigerators, dryers, washers, stoves, air conditioners, microwave ovens, etc.) should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet. Extension cords and plug strips should not be used.
-Check electrical cords to make sure they are not running across doorways or under carpets. Extension cords are intended for temporary use. Have a qualified electrician add more receptacle outlets so you don’t have to use extension cords.
Call a qualified electrician or your landlord if you have the following:
-Frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers
-A tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance
-Discolored or warm wall outlets
-A burning or rubbery smell coming from an appliance
-Flickering or dimming lights
-Sparks from an outlet
For more safety tips, please visit www.nfpa.org.